June 4-6, 2021: Designs in Woven Metal
Designs in Woven Metal
Instructor: Jeanie Pratt
June 4-6, 2021, Friday-Sunday, 10am - 5pm
Class fee: $490
Basic metalsmithing skills are required
$70 Materials Fee Payable to Instructor
In this workshop you will learn how to weave small sheets of metal from flattened wire to incorporate in your jewelry. You will be introduced to a variety of different patterns that can be achieved with weave structures that range from a simple over under plain weave to beautiful flowing undulating designs. There are so many fun ways to achieve different effects in weaving, including the weave pattern itself, combining different metals for contrast in the weave pattern and varying the widths of the wire used in the weave structure. Students will be encouraged to create a variety of samples. You will learn how to form your samples in the hydraulic press as well as to solder their edges. Kits will be provided with the materials to get started, as well as instructions on how to prepare the materials yourself. How to design your own weave patterns with graph paper will be introduced as well as a wealth of resources to inspire you. There will be discussions and samples on how to set and utilize your ‘woven sheet’ in brooches, pendants, beads, and earrings. Basic metalsmithing skills are required.
Students MUST Bring:
- Needle nose pliers (available in studio store)
- Wire cutters (available in studio store)
- Shears or cheap scissors for cutting thin metal sheet (available in studio store) (Jeanie likes Joyce Chen Original Unlimited Scissors)
- Digital calipers or wire gauge
- Fine brush for applying antiflux (available in studio store)
- ½” Scotch Permanent Double-Sided Tape
- Ultra-fine tipped Sharpies in 2 colors (such as black and red) (black available in studio store)
- Small bottle of acetone
- Soldering pick, brush and tweezers (available in studio store)
- Mechanical pencil with .5 mm lead
- Optivisor (available in studio store)
- Sense of humor
Students MAY Bring:
- Honeycomb soldering block (at least 3” x 3”) (available in studio store)
- Magnesia Soldering Block 6" X 3" X 1.5" (available at Amazon.com and some jewelry supply stores)
- Leather gloves (for holding wire while flattening)
- Draw Tongs (for holding wire while flattening) (available in studio store)
- Nylon jawed pliers (for straightening wire) (available in studio store)
- Simple 1” to 2” hydraulic press acrylic dies (if you want to puff and solder your woven sheet after weaving—some will be available in class to use)
- 3M ¾” Radial Bristle Discs and mandrels for flexshaft
- 14 to 24 gauge sterling silver (NOT FINE) wire for color contrast or if you would like to work in another metal besides copper. (if you would like to work primarily in silver, please contact me about the recommended amounts of wire to bring) (available in studio store)
- 26-gauge sterling silver sheet if you want to work in silver ( 24 available in studio store)
Material KITS Include:
copper wire, 10” each of a variety of gauges of flattened sterling silver wire, the “stuff” you need to set up a simple “loom” to weave your wire and an extensive handout with instructions and weave patterns. In addition, there will be soldering supplies available for use.
Tools are available to purchase through Danaca Design Studio with 15% student discount. Shop tools HERE. If you don’t see what you need please email us, email@example.com.
Review our class cancellation policy HERE.
All students must fill out and electronically submit the COVID-19 Protocol and Studio Waiver form before attending class.