Aug 29 - Sept 1: The Original Imaginative Captures
The Original Imaginative Captures
Instructor: Andy Cooperman
August 29 - Sept 1, Saturday - Tuesday, 10am - 3:00pm
Class fee: $720 | $25 materials fee payable to instructor
They used to call me-- Andy Cooperman-- “The Crusher” for my heavy hand in stone setting. I had to find a new way to include stones without breaking them. What began as a work-around became a way of working: This is Capturing.
If you’re tired of manufactured prongs and bezels; If you just can’t find an elegant way to incorporate that special stone, enamel sample or little found treasure into your work; If you just need to shake things up, then Imaginative Captures is for you! This information-packed workshop is full of tips and tricks and can help you develop new, more integrated setting (capturing) solutions and break down some of the rigid walls that exist between ideas, process and materials. We’ll get up close and personal with the flex shaft, soldering, riveting and cold connecting.
Participants must have basic jewelry skills and experience with the rolling mill, torches, hammers, buffers, etc. Required skills include drilling with the flex shaft machine, sawing, filing, silver soldering and basic bezel setting. Those who enroll must be able to solder unattended.
- Copper and brass wire for riveting
- Finishing materials, such as sandpapers/emery and polishing compounds
Students MUST Bring:
- METAL: Sheet: 18-22ga.Appox. 6 X 6 - Whatever metal you wish from which to make several small brooches or jewelry objects: Sterling, copper, brass, bronze (even small amounts of gold). (Remember, we can always roll down thicker material.)
- Clean (no solder) scrap (sterling, gold, bronze - if you have some): This can be handy to melt for wire or small amounts of sheet or simply to play with, fuse, etc.
- Silver Wire (if desired) for riveting: 18 or 20 gauge round
- Wire for possible forging or forming: 8, 10 or 12 ga. (We can even make wire from scrap)
- Sawblades: 2/0, 6/0
- Silver solder: wire or sheet: easy, medium and hard
- Drills: any you have, especially: 1mm (18ga) approx. #58, .8mm (20ga) approx. #66
- Magnifiers (loupes/optivisors) - if you need them
- Measuring devices (if you have or use them)
- Sketchpad and pencil
- Dust mask
- Several objects to incorporate:
- Participants should bring to class some small artifact, gemstone or found object that you find interesting-- or in some way compelling — for examination and even group discussion. Time permitting, these objects can be included in or even serve as points of depart for a piece of jewelry or a non-wearable item.
Students MAY Bring:
- Flex shaft tools: any burs, buffs, abrasives, etc. that you might like to use
- Favorite pliers, files, small riveting or goldsmith's hammer or any hand tools that you might like to use
- Solder pick (if you use one)
Tools are available to purchase through Danaca Design Studio with 15% student discount. Shop tools HERE. If you don’t see what you need please email us, email@example.com.
Review our class cancellation policy HERE.
All students must fill out and electronically submit the COVID-19 Protocol and Studio Waiver form before attending class.