Nov 9, 16, 23: Fold Forming with the Master – ONLINE – Live Streaming!
Fold Forming with the Master – ONLINE – Live Streaming!
Instructor: Charles Lewton-Brain
November 9, 16, 23, Monday evening, 5:00 – 7:00pm
Office hours November 12 and 19, 5:00 – 7:00pm
Workshop includes a free introduction lecture November 2, Monday 5:00 – 6:30
(All hours pacific time)
Class Fee: $380 | Materials list
This workshop delivers hundreds of folds over the course of three evening classes. You will learn to make folds in each of the main categories. Forms are derived from the natural plasticity and ductility of the metal. Shaping is extremely efficient and rapid. Many forms are complete in three to seven minutes and the tools are simple: fingers, hammer, anvil and mill. Complex relief forms are made from sheets of metal often in one annealing. Forms made with this method resemble chased, constructed and soldered forms and can be made with most metals, including steel. Master goldsmith Charles Lewton-Brain has trained, studied and worked in Germany, Canada and the United States to learn the skills he uses. You know that fold forming book you love? He wrote it! All levels welcome.
Students MUST have:
- 24 gauge copper sheet is ideal for most fold forming projects. A minimum of 12" x 18" of copper is recommended but students might use upwards of a 24" x 24". A cut list will be included upon registrations.
- A studio space where they can hammer and a torch to anneal copper.
- Students must have stable internet.
- Large (4”x4”) bench block or anvil of some sort to hammer on. (bench blocks available in studio store)
- Hammer with slightly domed face like a planishing hammer or ballpeen. (available in studio store)
- Hammer with cross peen like a raising hammer or riveting hammer. (available in studio store)
- Bench vise, table mounted, 3” – 4” jaw ideal.
- Rolling mill, with flat roller.
Optional Additional Supplies:
- Additional 24g copper sheet
- 24g sterling sheet silver
If you have questions about any of the equipment or supplies please contact us via email, email@example.com.
This class is hosted on Zoom. You will need a computer, laptop, smart phone or iPad for conference video (Zoom app required for phone- it’s free!)
If you do not have experience with Zoom, fret not! We will provide a free online tutorial with one of our staff to help you get comfortable before class. A quick rundown will also be covered the first night of class!
Zoom meeting ID: ___TBA______ password: ____TBA___
Tools are available to purchase through Danaca Design Studio with 15% student discount. Shop tools HERE. If you don’t see what you need please email us, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review our class cancellation policy HERE.